Molecular Genetics has provided inter- and intra-specific phylogeny and the study of the size and distribution of natural populations with major tools such as the determination of the genetic identity of individuals, the appraisal of the kinship relations between the individuals of a population or the study of the degree of genetic variation in populations with different isolation levels. This circumstance combined with the need to carry out the tracking of populations in a non-invasive way has stimulated the development of improved procedures for the genetic analysis of animal samples in order to estimate the population parameters and distribution of the species.
Our services include genetic services designed to estimate abundance, presence and distribution studies, vital rates (recruitment, growth, fertility, survival), habitat use and individual behaviour (e.g. migration phenomenon), introgression and emergency phenomenon of diseases or invasive species.
There are numerous Applications which the molecular genetic techniques contribute to the Species Management and Conservation, or for the Monitoring and Environmental Follow-up, and they are also reliable and significantly implement the quantity and quality of the information.
- Determination of the use of space (core area, feeding zones, roaming areas, movements, crossing corridors, migratory routes, etc.).
- Determination of the use of habitats and its application in habitat management programmes and space conservation programmes.
- Food/Nutrition studies (preferential diet, prey species, etc.).
- Population studies (effective population, sex-ratio, population drift, PVA, population studies with microsatellites).
- Identification at the species and individual level based on their evidence and remains.
- Application in the population characterization, follow-up and monitoring programmes.
- Applications for the conservation of the protected species and hunting populations.
Consulting Services for the Sampling Protocols, extraction and optimization of the genetic material treatment of the samples, when the latter are deteriorated or in low contents, amplification and sequencing, as well as the molecular studies for the identification at the species, individual or gender level.
Perfection of the search and collection methodology of the genetic samples and improvement in the analysis protocols of the genetic samples (determination of the genetic markers, primer development, identification of microsatellites, etc.).