Hydrology and hydrogeology
Hydrology is the science which focuses on the study of the spatial and time distribution and properties of water present in the atmosphere and in the earth’s crust (precipitation, run-off, soil humidity, evapotranspiration, etc.). At present, hydrology plays a very important role in the use planning of hydraulic resources, and has become an essential part of the engineering projects which involve water supply, wastewater disposal, drainage, protection against river actions and recreation. Hydrogeology is focused on the study of underground water.
Our services include the assessment of the ecological status of the continent surface water (rivers and lakes), transition water (partially saline water), coastal marine water and finally, underground water. The final objective of the studies is the prevention of the deterioration, protection and improvement of the aquatic ecosystems, the reduction of underground water pollution and the protection of aquifers as well as the alleviation of the effects of floods and droughts.
Hydrological studies, carried out in lotic and lentic Aquatic Systems, by means of fluvial characterizations and water masses (flow profiles, bathymetric measurements, vertical profiles of O2, temperature, pH, turbidity, Chlorophyll, etc.), as well as the calculation of the Ecological Flow, determination of the Ecological Status according to the Water Framework Directive (WFD), study of biological communities, degree of eutrophication, acid drainage, presence of pollutants in the water, sediment and biota, among numerous other related activities.
- Dump authorizations and control.
- Calculation of Dump Canons and their reduction.
- Remediation of pollution by hydrocarbons, heavy metals and other agents.
- Restoration Projects and other decontamination actions.
- Preparation of contingency plans due to accidental pollution of the aquatic environment.
- Management of hydric resources and consulting services in the hydrological planning.
- Fluvial Connectivity plans and projects.
- Prevention of extreme hydrological phenomenon (floods and droughts).
- Flood-risk zone maps (river run-off basin, hydric balance).
In relation to hydrogeology, the underground water resources and reserves are evaluated and hydrological behaviour models are prepared for the basins, hydric balances, water points, among others.
- Inventories and Characterizations of hydrogeological units.
- Hydrogeological studies and models.
- Hydrogeological boring-probe follow-ups.
- Capture authorizations for water supply.
- Aquifer piezometric control.
- Marine intrusion control in aquifers.